Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I just had surgery for a detached retina two weeks ago. The

Customer Question
retina was reattached successfully. What...
I just had surgery for a detached retina two weeks ago. The retina was reattached successfully. What else can I do besides what the dotor advises to make sure my eye heals the best it can and stays healthy? I'm thinking in terms of diet, vitamans and suppliments. Any special exercises I can do? My dotor advises there is a chance I could develop a catarac and possibllity the retina in other eye could detach. The detachment was not the result of an injury, it just happened one morning while I was laying in bed. I will add that I have injured the eye in question on a couple occasions in the past, however the last injury was about a year ago. On all occassions my eye healed. Also my sight in the eye in question was less than 20/20 and poorer than the other eye prior to being detached. I don't mean to go but I want to give you as much info as I can so you get some Idea of my situation. Any advised would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.   Jim Spofford
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Eye
6/11/2009
Eye Doctor: Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist

Hello JS

what is your age? what type of retinal detachment surgery did you have (buckle or gas injection, or both) ? How is the vision now?

I am 60 years old. I had the gas injection. It has only been two weeks since my surgery. The gas as disapated to about the middle of my pupil. I do have vision but it is blurred, due to, I suspect, the gas still being in the eye. Light seems to reflect off of same.

hello there

the gas often causes a cataract to form irregardless of how perfect the surgery was. I would suggest a low fat diet with lots of green leafy vegetables and a multivitamin daily. Be sure to stop smoking if you smoke, use UV protection in the sun (sunglasses). As far as the fellow eye is concerned, just watch for any new floaters or flashing lights, and report to the eye doctor if you notice any of those symptoms. If you do not develop a cataract in 6 months, chances are very good that you wont get a gas bubble induced cataract. I wish you well, Dr. Stevens

Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist