Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

It started out with a severe swelling of eyes and traveled

Customer Question
to cheeks, very red and...
It started out with a severe swelling of eyes and traveled to cheeks, very red and burning. After tons of medicines and tests still a mystery. But now I keep getting a swollen irritated eye with a red circle under the eye area. Sometimes I feel sharp scratchy substance and also see these black hard tiny specks come out. The eye is sore and red and it's very irritating, feels like a stye coming on.    In the 80's I had eye surgery. There was a huge amount of scare tissue from and accident, I didn't know it until I saw the doctor as I just thought I was a freak. He removed the scare tissue and the eye was good.   I don't know if that may have anything to do with it. I've been being treated and tested for an allergy, the first reaction was so serve I was in emergency.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Eye
6/8/2009
Eye Doctor: Dr. JLB, Ophthalmologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. JLB
Dr. JLB, Ophthalmologist

HiCustomer

can you provide some additional information?

1. Your age and gender?

2. Medical conditions? Taking Medication?

3. Do you wear eye make-up?

4. Is the vision affected?

5. How long has the eye been "sore, red and very irritating"?

These answers will help me evaluate your case better...

Sincerely,

Dr. JLB

Female, 67
for reactions benadryl, singular and when severe swelling prednisone
normal medications for years have been taking armour thryoid, and maybe some vitamins, now and then my eyes get painful, blurry vision, burning skin, on first reaction it was so severe it burnt my skin and afterward the skin peeled.......
I went to the hospital twice, the went to my doctor, have been on several medicatios, but now I just stick to Benedryl and Singular......
my skin around the eyes will get dry and then red, but it always happens with left eye first
now my left eye reacts only.....
this last reaction is now going on 4 days.....
this whole episode has been going on over a month
I do not wear anything except mascara and have used the same brand for many years....
I do not wear any other make-up
Female, 67
now my left eye reacts only.....
I do not wear any other make-up

HiCustomer

From your clinical history, it appears that you had a severe allergic reaction. It is difficult to know exactly what caused this. I'm not sure if the problem now continues to be allergic. It may be an infection (like a stye), but this, typically, is not preceeded by dryness of the skin.

I believe this is a recurrent allergic reaction and a visit to an immunologist (allergist) may help significantly. You can be tested for a number of allergens that may be responsible for your symptoms. An ophthalmologist should also be a part of the management as he or she can monitor the eyes' reaction to management.

In this situation, there is no substitute for a complete eye exam. There are various possibilities for your symptoms and this is the only way to accurately diagnose and treat appropiately. If you do not feel that your current doctors have been able to help resolve the problem, a second opinion must be considered.

I hope this helps and that you find a resolution to this problem...

God Bless,

Dr. JLB

Dr. JLB
Dr. JLB, Ophthalmologist
Dr. JLB
Dr. JLB
Dr. JLB, Ophthalmologist