How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Stevens Your Own Question
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 1404
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Stevens is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My left eye frequently waters to a point of it running down

Resolved Question:

My left eye frequently waters to a point of it running down my face and this has been going on for more than two years. I went to Opthalmologist who does not seem to find anything wrong. It can be very frustrating trying to work at computer and stopping to wipe face over & over. I am female and age 53. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 8 years ago.

hello there

did the ophthalmologist do any tear duct testing to see if there is a blockage? is there any foreign body sensation in the eye?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

There is no foreign body sensation.......I have no idea about the tear duct testing you mentioned. She put drops in, I sat a dark room and then she further examined...that is all I know.

Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 8 years ago.

Hello there

from the sounds of it, I am thinking you have a nasolacrimal duct obstruction on the one side. There is a tear duct that takes our tears away from the eye to the nose / back of the throat. This is why people blow their nose when they cry, all those tears go into the nose. The tear duct can sometimes develop a blockage and this is what I think you have. It can be tested in the office pretty quickly. We take a little blunt probe and canula and flush some fluid in the lower eyelid opening and you simply see if the fluid goes to the nose. This is a common office test and is quick and the definitive test for tearing. If you dont remember this occuring, you should be tested for a blocked tear duct by an ophthalmologist, I hope this helps,. Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

thanks,,,,,,,,that sounds logical........What type of treatment would be expected?

Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 8 years ago.
If you have a blockage, The fix is a surgery called a DCR, dacrocystorhinostomy. It is an outpatient procedure, and very succesful. Regards *****
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
hummmm............the doctor made the comment, "good news, you do not need surgery", I wonder if she ruled that out? It is not painful, but very annoying.
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 8 years ago.

Hello there

if she did not use what looked like a little needle and squirt fluid in your lower eyelid punctum, she did not do definitive testing. She may have done some other test where she checked the time period for the dye to disappear or see if the dye was in your nasal tissue but these are not as reliable as what I referred to which is Probing and irrigation (more often simple irrigation) Regards

Dr. Stevens and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you