How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. JLB Your Own Question
Dr. JLB, Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 86
Experience:  General Ophthalmologist, Fellowship trained in Refractive Surgery
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. JLB is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son 46 yr. lost his sight in dec 08 MD said he has a

Customer Question

my son 46 yr. lost his sight in dec 08 MD said he has a stroke on optic nerve or Levers there a place at Ohio State where he can be checked for a positive diagnosis? Plwase advise as I feel helpless thank you   Myra Roeckner   *****@******.***
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. JLB replied 8 years ago.
Hi Myra,

The condition you refer to is Leber's Hereditary Optic Neuropathy (LHON). It happens predominatly to young males (it has been found in men anywhere between 8 and 60 years old). It initially affects vision in one eye, then a few weeks to months later, the other eye. It is difficult to diagnose unless there is a clear family history. There are specific genes responsible for the condition, therefore, genetic testing may be helpful in making this diagnosis.

A "stroke"of the optic nerve, is less likely to affect both eyes. LHON always does; maybe not right away, but eventually does.

The Cleveland Clinic in Ohio has a good reputation as an academic institution in the field of ophthalmology. Ultimately, I think you may reach the correct diagnosis by visiting a private neuro-ophthalmologist that can manage the case providing referrals, as needed, for consultations and testing.

I wish you the best of luck as you search for answers...


Expert:  Dr. JLB replied 8 years ago.
Hi Myra,

I just realized that i misunderstood part of your question. You were asking for a possible referral in the Ohio State University system. I understood the state of Ohio.

I personally do not know anyone that I could recommend in the Ohio State system as I practice in the northeast.

I would like to emphasize that neuro-ophthalmolgist are sub-specialists in optic nerve conditions like the one your son appears to have. I strongly suggest that you find one in your area that can take the lead in this case. If there are experimental protocols with the latest treatment options, a good neuro-ophthalmologist should be able to guide you.

Sorry about the misunderstanding and I hope this helps guide you in some way as you deal with this very difficult situation... feel free to add any other questions or concerns.

God Bless,