Dr. JLB
Dr. JLB, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  General Ophthalmologist, Fellowship trained in Refractive Surgery
18439675

My one year old daughter has greenish discharge from eye

Hi. My one year old daughter has greenish discharge from eye (one day duration), swollen and red. No fever or any other symptom associated.
What drops should I gve her?
THanks
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. JLB replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter. It appears that your daughter has a conjunctivitis. These are usually due to either viruses or bacteria. In adults, 95% of conjuctivitis are viral. In children, the incidence of bacterial conjunctivitis is higher (percentage not well known). For this reason, children are always treated with antibiotic drops. The best alternative in drops is either zymar or vigamox. These are fourth generation flouroquinolones which cover for the majority of bacteria responsible for conjunctivitis in children. There are contraindications in children to taking fluoroquinolones by mouth. However, there should be no problem with taking these in drop form.

These drops can only be obtained with a prescription. I encourage you to take your daughter to an ophthalmologist as soon as possible. Given that it is the weekend, you may need to go to the ER to have an eye doctor called in to see her. I don't know how severe the infection is, so you will have to decide if taking her to the ER is necessary or if it can wait until Monday. If the thought of going to the ER crosses your mind you should go. It is always best to err in the side of caution.

I hope this helps and good luck...

Sincerely,

Dr. JLB
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you so much but I have one more question. Is these ointment or drops? Ointments are applied inside the eye or outside?

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. JLB replied 8 years ago.
These are drops. In the event that you were to use an ointment, it would be placed inside the eye.

Once again best of luck as you look for the best treatment...

Sincerely,

Dr. JLB