Dr. JLB
Dr. JLB, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  General Ophthalmologist, Fellowship trained in Refractive Surgery
18439675

Slight rash on right forehead spread between my eyes, now

Customer Question

slight rash on right forehead spread between my eyes, now right eye feels gritty and itches, patches of it on my nose and chin. Some red and bleed if scratched, some bumps ooze orange yellow and harden. What the hell is it?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. JLB replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer

The description you have given sounds consistant with herpes simplex virus (HSV). HSV lies dormant in the nervous system of the majority of people. During times of stress or when the immune system becomes activated (for example, during a cold), HSV can become activated and manifests itself along a particular distribution of a nerve. HSV is the same virus that causes fever blisters on the lips.

In this case, the nerve affected is the ophthalmic division of the trigeminal nerve. When the nose becomes involved then the nasociliary branch of this nerve also appears to be affected. When this branch is affected, the probability of having inflammation on the eye and inside the eye increases significantly. In my view, you should have a complete eye exam as soon as possible. There are treatment options that will help you heal a bit faster and decrease the chance for long term complications.

Until you have the eye exam, you may use cool compresses over the rash and blisters. Do not pick at the lesions as this will only worsen the condition.

I hope this is helpful and good luck....

Sincerely,

Dr. JLB