How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. PG Your Own Question
Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 2337
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. PG is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The skin below my left eye is swollen (like an inflated

Resolved Question:

Hello: the skin below my left eye is swollen (like an inflated bag). It hurts a bit, like a bruise. I saw my doctor four days ago and he prescribed fusidic acid 5g twice a day. He said it should clear up in 48 hours but I think it has become worse. Any suggestions? Thanks John
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 8 years ago.
Dear *****,
          Kindly give some more information regarding your question -
- what is your age?
- why did the skin below your left eye swell up? was there any trauma, are you on any medicines?
- is the skin dark in color?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your questions.

My age is 57.

My doctor thinks it's an infection arising from rubbing my eyes. There was no trauma. I take simvastatin, allopurinol and betametasone dipropionate (asthma inhaler).

The skin is not dark in colour.

Expert:  Dr. PG replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the information.
From your description it seems that you might be having an infected chlazion (occur due to rubbing of the eye). If you are not having an open wound, then a local ointment might not help much. The treatment for this is -
- warm compresses
- oral anti-inflammatory like tylenol/ibuprofen
if there is no improvement with the above treatment, then you might need oral antibiotics after evaluation by an Ophthalmologist.
Dr. PG and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you