How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chan Your Own Question
Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 356
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Chan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What can one do if they 1 had a SUDDEN VISION LOSS and a

Resolved Question:

what can one do if they 1 had a SUDDEN VISION LOSS and a head acke(sp), right forhead. I believe it to be my first stroke but how would it be treated?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 8 years ago.


Strokes usually do not cause headaches. Your symptoms of sudden vision loss with headache is very concerning. What is your age? What other medical conditions do you have? How bad is the vision loss? Complete? Was there any flashing lights? Is the eye itself red or painful?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Age 54. No other conditions or meds. loss is peripheral both eyes more in left then right. aprox. 1/2 to 1/3rd left 20% right. Can see swirls sort of. kind of a refration of what I'm looking at. the eye is not red or discolored. I do have bad alergies and once in a while blurs vision temperaraly, never long and never peripherally. I have been on claratin OC for a couple weeks.
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 8 years ago.


The loss of peripheral vision in both eyes does point towards a TIA or stroke. There is no treatment for strokes that has already occurred. However, I would at least start you on Aspirin (and you may need to be on Plavix or Lovenox). I would also get a carotid ultrasound to look for the source of the stroke. The point is to try to prevent a larger event that can affect a larger part of your brain.

You need to be seen by an Ophthalmologist and get a visual fields test to determine if indeed it is a stroke. There are other conditions, like temporal arteritis (usually just affects one eye) or retinal detachment that needs to be ruled out.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Chan and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you