How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Daniel Jewelewicz Your Own Question
Dr. Daniel Jewelewicz
Dr. Daniel Jewelewicz, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 11
Experience:  Glaucoma Specialist, Associate Professor FAU, Teaching Faculty Bascom Palmer Eye Institute
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Daniel Jewelewicz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a pain just above my left eye which comes and goes

Customer Question

i have a pain just above my left eye which comes and goes but have had it for a few weeks
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Daniel Jewelewicz replied 8 years ago.

Pain in or around the eye can occur for many different reasons. The pain ophthalmologists are most concerned about is pain at the TEMPLE, sometimes associated with pain when you chew food or move your jaw, and sometimes associated with tenderness at your scalp. If you have these symptoms, you should see an ophthalmologist immediately, especially if you are over age 60. These are signs of something called "temporal arteritis". If you do not have these symptoms and simply have a dull ache over your left eye, this could be sinus related. Sinus cavities exist below, behind, and above the eye and sinus congestion or inflammation can manifest as pain around the eye. Do you have a history of sinus problems or symptoms of sinus congestion or allergies?

Even cervical neck pain - arthritis, muscular pain, etc - can result in something called "occipital neuralgia" which causes pain around the eye.

Sometimes a run-of-the-mill headache can cause this.

If your pain is mild, not debilitating, and not associated with the symptoms I described earlier, I would not worry.

If it persists, see an ophthalmologist.

Please note that this forum is for general advice only - it is not a substitute for an eye exam by a licensed professional. It is not possible to accurately diagnose or treat any medical condition without a complete history and exam.