Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I woke up with a small black eye (one eye only) this

Customer Question
morning. While the trauma...
I woke up with a small black eye (one eye only) this morning. While the trauma isn't much, it's enough that everybody's asking me what I did. I haven't done anything to injure my eye. I'm a 54-year-old woman. I had several head injuries last year, but CAT scans didn't reveal brain trauma, but it is on my mind. Last night I was horse-back riding and my helmut hurt so much I had to loosen it such that it wasn't being effective and was loose on my head. I haven't had to do that before. Again, I didn't have any trauma last night, but the prior head injuries (one in July required 34 stitches and staples three rows deep) and my head bothering me last night has me a little worried. I have not had any changes in prescriptions, and just the usual kinds of headaches. I give blood regularly and haven't been notified of any problems. Should I get this checked out? Debby
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Eye
5/21/2009
Eye Doctor: Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist

Hi Debbie

the spontaneous bruising around the eye may mean your blood is thin, as that can be seen with asprin or ibuprofen (motrin) use. What is more concerning in my mind is the pain your helmet caused while you were wearing it. I would suggest being seen for this as it is unusual to have that much discomfort. While that can be from scars causing pain, I would also worry about a condition called temporal arteritis which can cause headaches and soreness of the scalp near the forehead. That is a rare but distinct possibility to consider. Bloodwork can be ordered if the suspicion is high. I wish you well, Dr. Stevens

Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist