Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

When there is a sudden change from light to dark (i.e.

Customer Question
switching the light off, walking...
When there is a sudden change from light to dark (i.e. switching the light off, walking from a lit building to a dark car park...) my left eye doesn't adjust properly. I can see normally out of my right eye with typical night-vision but my left eye is completely black and I can't make out anything at all. This starts to dissipate after 10-15 mins and my normal night vision returns to my left eye. This seems to happen when my eyes are tired (if I have been working on computers, reading alot etc etc). On one occassion this happened in the light and my eye failed to adjust properly when coming from a dark room into bright sunlight.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Eye
5/8/2009
Eye Doctor: Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
What is your age? Have you been evaluated for this?

Dear Dr Stevens,

I made this request for my daughter who is 22 years old, she has seen a specialist but he could identify the problem.

He examined her eyes and said they were healthy.

Customer/p>

Hello Ken

this is a bit easier in older folks, as they get things like cataracts and glaucoma (particularly glaucoma can affect this). In someone who is young and has been examined, and has a normal exam, it is a bit tough to pinpoint the reason. I would tend to think that she simply has eyes that are sensitive to light which causes her pupils to constrict way down and perhaps they dont dilate as fast in the dark to allow the light back in. Obviously it is worse in one eye. This makes a bit of sense as the computer can also put out a decent amount of light and the near focusing tends to bring the pupil down as well. I would just reassure her and have her seen again if it seems to be getting worse at all. I think I would also order a visual field test which checks her peripheral vision just to be on the safe side, Regards ***** *****

Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist