How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chan Your Own Question
Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 356
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Chan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The first layer of my eye was scraped due to 2nd degree burn

Customer Question

The first layer of my eye was scraped due to 2nd degree burn 7 yrs ago, but lately people around me noticed that my eyes are getting red sometimes. I also feel a bit of itchiness and teary eyed sometimes. Is the scraping has something to do with what I'm feeling lately? Thank you
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 8 years ago.

First of all, I assume that by the "first layer of your eye" you mean the cornea. The cornea is the clear part in front of your eye through which you see. It is lined by a thin layer of skin cells. When this layer of cells gets disrupted, it causes a corneal abrasion and is very painful. Over time, the cells regrow and the abrasion heals.


However, there is a condition called recurrent corneal erosion. Sometimes, the cells may heal but they don't set firm "roots" down into the stroma of the cornea. Occasionally, the cells can become disrupted again and it will feel like the original abrasion. This usually occurs when you first wake up and open your eyes. The eyelid sticks to the cells while you are sleeping and can tear them off if they are not firmly attached. This phenomena has been documented as long as 52 years after the initial injury. There are treatments for this, including eyedrops, ointments, micropuncture, laser, etc.


Of course, your symptoms may be from common conditions such as allergies, dry eyes, etc. You should consult an eye doctor.


Hope this helps.