How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chan Your Own Question
Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 356
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Chan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have worn contact lenses for 47 years. About 12 years ago

Resolved Question:

I have worn contact lenses for 47 years. About 12 years ago I got bifocal lenses and did well with them. Just recently I've tried two new pairs and constantly have a build up of debris on them and they get uncomfortable and I can't see. I think I have a problem with the type of plastic. The contacts are Floroperm 60 and Paragon HDS and both are made of 100% polymer (paflufocon B). The doctor's nurse indicated they had changed to this material recently. Do you think this can be the problem? Are there other bifocal contacts made out of different materials? Do I just need to find a different doctor? Thanks you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 8 years ago.

Both of those contact lenses are good brands, although I personally am not too fond of gas permeable lenses. There are soft multifocal and bifocal contact lenses available now. I find that patients tolerate soft contact lenses better than gas permeable ones (just my opinion).

Also, there may be a change in your eyes that is precipitating protein deposits (conditions such as meibomitis or giant papillary conjunctivitis or dry eyes). These may all be treatable. Perhaps a change in cleaning solutions (sometimes, companies change the preservatives in their solutions without telling anyone and this can lead to increased irritation in some people).

These are all questions to take back to your physician. Give him/her a chance to work with you to improve the situation before you fire him/her.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Chan and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you