Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology
17282639

I'am a Ocular Toxoplasmosis patiant, I need to know if this

I'am a Ocular Toxoplasmosis patiant, I need to know if this virus can be cured or not. The doctors from here said that there is no cure found yet & the becteria hosted in my eye is active at the movement & I am taking treatment for it now

As far as I know, there is no permanent treatment for ocular toxoplasmosis. After treatment, it will become dormant. During this stage, it becomes a cyst. This cyst stage is very resistant to the host immune system, therefore it stays in the retina for the rest of your life. However, the disease can reactivate in the eye (usually at the edge of an old scar). The cyst ruptures and releases live organisms into the tissue. With further treatment, it becomes a cyst again. And the cycle can continue ad infinitum.

Toxoplasmosis is actually a protozoa, not a bacteria or virus. The good news is that, unless you are immunocompromised, the chance of reactivation is low.

Hope this helps