How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chan Your Own Question
Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 356
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Chan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question about eye disease. I was told I have a narrowing

Resolved Question:

I have a question about eye disease. I was told I have a "narrowing" of something in my eyes. Small cataracs are pressing on this and if it continues (recheck in 6 months) they can make a new channel with a laser. If it closes, I will be blind with no treatment available. Are there any signs I can watch for in this 6 month period?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 8 years ago.

You probably are talking about a narrow angle. The angle is referring to the area in the eye where the fluid is drained. Normally, this is open and fluid is drained so that the pressure in the eye is maintained at a normal level. When the angle is narrow, it can close off and the fluid builds up in the eye and the pressure elevates. This is called a narrow angle attack. It can instantly cause redness, pain, and blindness. The treatment when an ophthalmologist sees a patient with narrow angle is to perform a laser procedure to create an opening in the iris (called a peripheral iridectomy) so that the fluid has a way to drain even if the angle closes. This prevents the narrow angle attack. There really aren't any signs or symptoms until the angle closes and you suffer an attack. Not all narrow angles will close, but sometimes it is hard to predict. It is better safe than sorry to get the laser to prevent it from happening.


Hope this helps

Dr. Chan and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you