How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Stevens Your Own Question
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 1404
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Stevens is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dermatologist was concerned today that my one eye looked

Customer Question

My dermatologist was concerned today that my one eye looked funny.
She asked when I'd had my last thyroid profile. I do have a small benign thyroid nodule and I wasn't seeing my dermatologist for my eye ( I was there for a skin cancer screening. ) I've tried looking up "lid drop" on the internet but haven't found anything. Can you fill me in?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 8 years ago.
What about your eye looks funny? did she mean droop?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Well, that's the thing, she specifically didn't say droop, she said "lid drop". I had a regular eye exam several months ago with my opthamologist and he didn't mention anything, either. I believe she means that the upper portion of the top lid is hanging a bit.
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 8 years ago.
She is more than likely referring to something we call ptosis also referred to as blepharoptosis. I am amazed what some docs will call eye conditions given their limited knowledge of ophthalmic verbage. Anyhow, more than likely there is nothing to be concerned about, as hyperthyroid patients get something lid retraction where the lid actually goes higher and the normal eye looks droopy in comparison. Anyhow, there may be something that is concerning her (since I have not seen it) and I would recommend a visit to the ophthalmologist so he can check for any issues, try not to worry about this now, Dr. Stevens