Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

My brother has been diagnosed with Scleritis. He originally

My brother has been diagnosed with Scleritis. He originally had uritis but it has now changed to Scleritis. He has been on all kinds of medicine but there has been no luck in curing this disease. He also has a blood disorder called Mehaglins whereby he has large white blood cells but few in number. He has been to all kinds of doctors but to now avail. Can you possibly point us in the right direction to cure this. His eyes look terrible and we are afraid he will go blind. He is a nurse and is 52. We have tried everything but no cure so far. Please advise. Phyllis Richford
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 8 years ago.

Phyllis

this is a tough one. Has he been to a rheumatologist? what has be given systemically? how long has he had scleritis?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Dr. Stevens he has been to a rheumatologist. When he originally had uritis his doctor gave him meds and it went away. IThose med have not worked at present. It has now become Scleritis and the Doctors are stumpted.

Phyllis

typically we treat mild cases of scleritis with oral NSAIDs such as motrin or naprosyn for several weeks, we then move to treating with oral prednisone and if this does not work, off to the rheumatologist they go for systemic treatment with stronger meds used to treat rheumatoid arthritis and other systemic autoimmune disorders. I make sure he is on topical prednisolone and lubricants. If he has not seen the rheumatologist since the scleritis started, he should as this can sometimes lead to the consideration of other diagnoses they did not consider before. Regards

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Dr. Stevens. Al is on Lotamax and lubricants and the Uritis is under control but the Scleritis is only about a month old. My brother has seen two rheumatologists and they both are trying to get this under control. I was hoping you may have seen this before and can shed some light on a possible cure.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Dr. Stevens.

I'm not sure if you got my reply. My brother is now on Lotamax and lubricants. The Uritis is under control but the Scleritis is only about a month old. My brother has been to two rheumatolgists and they are both trying to get this under control. I was hoping you may have seen this before and can shed some light on a possible cure.

Thank You.

Phyllis

Hello there

lotemax can help the iritis but wont do anyting for the scleritis? has he been on a course of oral medication for the scleritis? if so what

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Dr. Stevens. Al has not been on oral meds for the Scleritis. He has to see the Doctor

on Tuesday and he feels that is the next direction he will take him. Any other suggestions before I let you go.

Thank You.

Phyllis

Phyllis

oral meds are the next step, but since he has not been on anything yet, mild medications such as motrin 600mg 3 times a day can be prescribed, there is no need to go directly to steroids right off the bat, Regards *****