Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

My wife has pain under left eye has had a cataract

Customer Question

My wife has pain under left eye has had a cataract removed,now has double vision in the same eye,the pain also affects the left side of the face
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 8 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Sorry I was so long getting back to you ,my wife has problem with pain under the left eye which moves down down the cheek.She has had a cataract removed successfully
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

would you please answer this corresspondence by my mobile phone either message or chat if possible Australia XXXXXXXXXX o

Hello AD

the most appropriate way is to communicate in this forum, you simply do not hit accept since you have already done so. Can you tell me some info....when was the cataract surgery? can you tell me about the pain she has developed? when did it develop? what is it like, sharp dull achy? is there anything that helps? what makes it worse?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Dr.Stevens,my wifes face pain may have nothing to do with the cataract but since the cataract operation which I believe was successfull although traumatic,the pain has now concentrated in the region of that eye.We have an appointment with a eye specialist in three weeks time.She had a MRA Angiogram of the neck for TN which showed wear and tear and nothing unusual for age of 82.the cataract operation was in july 2007.thank you Dr.Stevens regardsCustomer

Hello Adden

I wonder if there was a needle injection that was used for local anesthesia during cataract surgery, often referred to as a retrobulbar block anesthesia. This can actually in rare instances cause nerve injury to the infraorbital nerve that innervates the pain sensation in the cheek and lower section of the eye socket. That may be a source of the discomfort. This could also be related to sinus disease such as sinusitis. Adden, I have very little input on this otherwise, please do not press accept as you have already done so. I hope she feels better, Regards *****

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you,Dr.Stevens would you mind if I showed this report to the specialist we have an appointment with and refer back to you his thoughts on the matter.The type of pain that I was reffering to is a dull severe one that seems to cause the double vision.

With Regards,Customer

By all means, whatever it takes to help her, Dr. Stevens