Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

I have always been a twitchy person. My parents always

I have always been a twitchy person. My parents always commented on me twitching my nose as a child etc, but its never been too noticeable. 8yrs ago I joined the army and I went to Afghanistan. It was during this time that I noticed myself start excessively blinking. Its does come and go. My eyes do feel dry and sore, occasionally I clench my eyes shut or have the need to rub them hard.

I have noticed that the blinking does get worse with stress eg. when giving a presentation. Recently its become a lot worse, and I think that’s due to me having an operation on my neck, which as left a large ugly scar on my neck that I am very self conscious about – making me nervous when I meet new people etc coursing me to blink even more.

I have put up with this problem for over 4 years now – but its starting to really affect my life, and I feel that it may turn into a bad cycle – of nervous = blinking = nervousness. Its also very aggregated by light of all kinds, sun/TV/PC etc.
You need to be evaluated for a condition called Blepharospams. This is what it sounds like you may be getting. If this is what you have, it can be treated with botox injections and most people are well controlled for 3-4 months at a time, the person to see is an ophthalmologist or a oculoplastic specialist, Regards
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What is that condition - and do you know why i'm afftected by it? Somtimes it goes away completely on its own. Is there anything other then Botox that can help the blinking. Do you think it could be an allergy?
Thanks,
Katy
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What is that condition - and do you know why i'm afftected by it? Somtimes it goes away completely on its own. Is there anything other then Botox that can help the blinking. Do you think it could be an allergy? Thanks, Katy

Katy

the condition is basically a nervous tick that the patient is not able to control and affects people for unknown reasons. Botox is the preferred treatment for blepharospams. Often, people also have underlying dry eyes or allergies which makes it worse but the propensity for the blinking is there. You may not have this but it is my buest guess without having the advantage of examining your eyes. I think that a thorough exam when you are having the episodes should help sort this out quickly. In the meanwhile using Zaditor OTC 2 times daily will address any allergic component and using Celluvisc several times daily will address any dry eye so it may simply fix your symptoms and possibly cure your condition, Regards