Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

I went to sleep and woke up with my bottem eyelid swollen

Customer Question

i went to sleep and woke up with my bottem eyelid swollen how do i get the swelling down
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 8 years ago.

Hello there

is it red? painful? is there a tender lump? is it only one side? is the eye red or irritated?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
it's a tender lump

Hello

You most likely have a stye. Styes are local infections of the oil glands that are in the eyelid. They present as a tender red bump. If you have a stye (us ophthalmologists call it hordeolum), then it will probably go away if you are vigilant with heat packs. Get a heat pack, not a wash cloth since those cool down fast and apply it to the lid at least 3 times a day for 5 minutes at a time, and it will go down or open up and drain. It may take 1-2 weeks for it to go away. Regards