Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

On my left eye I had a yellowish scab in the corner of the

Customer Question
eye. When I removed...
On my left eye I had a yellowish scab in the corner of the eye. When I removed it, it reveals an exposed red bump. My lower eyelid and under my eye is swollen. It has been bothering me for a month but now within the last two days it has become painful and more swollen. I notice I have a stye on my upper eyelid which doesn't bother me. Could I have a blocked tear duct? I am an adult female 53 years old. I have never had these kinds of symptoms before.   It is not affecting my eyesight. It is just becoming increasingly painful. Could you please tell me what it could be and how to treat it?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/9/2009
Eye Doctor: Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Where exactly was this scab? did it bleed when removed? is there discharge?
On the corner of my eye by my nose. No it did not bleed. No their is no discharge. The scab was like matter that you get in your eye in the morning. No other matter has formed.

Hello there

it sounds like you have blepharitis which is typically a chronic low grade infection. The little bump you exposed is actually normal anatomy in the corner of the eye and is called the caruncle. It is a fleshy red bump, and probably looks more red on that side since it is inflamed. Anyhow, Blepharitis is an infection of the lids and lashes. Common findings in someone with blepharitis can range from subtle collections of yellow colored debris or flakes on the lashes to not so subtle crusting, clumping on lashes, red eyelid borders with thickening of the lids and oil gland orifices.

The treatment consists of 3 things and must be done consistently for effective control and cure.

First, you take a warm wash cloth or warm compress and lay it across your lids for 5 minutes (heat must be applied for 5 mins). This helps the oil glands get moving again and helps loosen up the debris on the lashes.

Next you take some baby shampoo and mix it with water (50/50) and use a wash cloth to rub across and cleanse the skin and lashes. This helps remove the debris.

Last, you apply antibiotic ointment, like erythromycin ophthalmic ointment to the base of the lashes.

This regimen helps get rid of or control the infection in about 2 weeks. You may try this without the antibiotic ointment first, but may need to talk to your doctor for a prescription for the erythromycin ophthalmic ointment if your symptoms do not resolve fully.

I hope this helps, this condition is a nuisance for many people and until the diagnosis is made, it can lead to lots of irritation and discomfort.

I wish you well, Dr. Stevens

Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist

Dr. Stevens,

I have "red eyelid borders with thickening of the lids and oil gland orifices" I don't have the yellow colored debris or flakes, or clumping of the lashes. When you said it is a chronic low grade infection, will I get it again? You said chronic? So how did I get it to begin with?

Customer/p>

We all have bacteria on our skin. This is basically an overgrowth of the bacteria on our lashes and a propensity of the oil glands to become boggy and drain poorly thus becoming suspectible to infection (stye in the oil gland). It is chronic because people seem to get it over and over unless they exercise good lid hygeine as outlined above several times a week. I hope this helps, Dr. Stevens

Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist