Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

My daughter has had a swollen eye for about one week now,

My daughter has had a swollen eye for about one week now, she is just over 4 weeks old. I took her into the Pediatrician, diagnosed pink eye! Next day (tues) was sent to optomitrist, said possible hemeridge, possible cellulitise, Thurs went back said blocked tear duct, come back in one month. skin around eye appears to be swealling more, and slight discoloration.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 8 years ago.
Do give me some more information regarding your question-
- is there any redness or discharge in the affected eye?
- is there dryness of the skin around the eye?
- were you told to do any massage for the tear duct blockage?
- what treatment has been given?
Regards
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hello, There is slight redness of the eye, not to bad though. Around the eye on the inside bottom is quite red, Since we stopped the eye drops (vigamox) Friday night there has been more discharge. I.E. the lids have stuck together 4-5 times after sleeping since then. The skin does not appear to be drying out around the eye. We were not told to do the massage by optomitrist, but we have been for last 2 days. So far just the drops and massage, drops from tues-frid. Also the swelling is not in isolated area, it is surrounding entire eye.
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 8 years ago.
What you are describing does not seem like a simple nasolacrimal duct blockage. It seems like an infection or pink eye. Also she is not responding to vigamox and would require a change in antibiotic eye drops. Another important point is that in infants tobramycin eye drops are preferred than any other antibiotic. I woud advise you to consult an Opthalmolohgist and since she is resistent to the present eye drops, she might need a swab from the discharge, to look for antibiotic eye drops that woud help her.
Regards