Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

Is there surgery for Ischemic Optic Neuropathy.

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 8 years ago.
When was the diagnosis made? was any bloodwork done to make sure this is not part of something more serious? did they put you on any treatment?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

diagnosed in April 2008 bloodwork taken then and all clear, steroids given for 6 weeks & MRI scan in june 2008 was clear. Now on medication for high blood pressure,

Hello there

ischemic optic neuropathy is when the tiny blood vessels that feed your optic nerve form a clot and are blocked. This causes nerve ischemia (poor blood perfusion) and causes it do not function properly. There is no surgical way to repair this as of 2009, however in the future there may be some hope for fixing this issue. I was wondering about the blood work as sometimes we worry about the fellow eye suffering the same problem and it seems your doc was also concerned and gave you 6 week course of steroids. I usually recommend also taking a baby asprin or plavix or something along those lines when I see someone with this condition, so if you are not on any of these, you should consult with your primary doc to get on one, Regards, ***** *****