Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I went to an Opht for a slight redness in one part of my eye

near my iris. No...
I went to an Opht for a slight redness in one part of my eye near my iris. No itch,discharge or pain. She gave me a Zylet that contained 0.5% loteprednol etabonate & 0.3% tobramycin.   She said I had allergic conjunc. I put 1 drop in each eye and the next morn both eyes were worst & bloodshot red and teary. I cont with the drop for a few day and still bloodshot. I saw her again and she gave me Lotemax.   Same thing....no improv. I chked & drops contained same 0.5% loteprednol w/o the tobramycin. I decided to see an Allergist and he susp Viral Conj because I had a cold just a wk before my eye probl. I went to another Opth the next day and he took my symptoms and said it looks like Viral conj and not to do anything more except to put in Naphcon A every 2 hrs and to see him nxt wk.   So far it's been 5 days & both eyes are still blood red (like conj)with no improvement. I am desperate for another opin. as my eyes are still blood red and it's been over 3 wks and I am frustrated.
4/5/2009
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist

Hello there

can you please think back to when the redness was first noted....was there any discharge? was there any itching in the eyes? running eyes? allergic symptoms such as runny nose or sneezing? when was the cold previous to this?

Now , you are on naphcon a, what are the symptoms? is there significant tearing, any discharge? are you on any other medicines at all?

I had a cold not flu on March 2nd. Very sore throat, no fever,little coughing and slight chest congestion. I took Mucinex Expectorant for my chest,Mucinex Nasal Spray & Cepacol Sore Throat Spray. I did not require any bed rest or see a Dr. On Mar10th I noticed a red area by my iris in my right eye. I had no itching or discharge. I went to the doctor on March 11. I put the Zylet in my eye that nt and the next morning when I woke up both eyes were very red,like Red Eye & no itching but teary. I cont'd to apply Zylet for two more days then realized it wasn't improving so I made another appt with the same dr for March 23rd and she gave me the Lotemax eye drops. I put that in for another three days and still very red eyes and tearing but nothing else. I stopped the drops and decided to see an allergist on March 30th. At that time my eyes had the same degree of being very red and teary. He said it looked like Viral Conj. No meds. Then on March 31 I saw another Opht for a 2nd Opinion and my eyes were still very red and teary. He said it looked like Viral Conj and no cure other than time will heal but told me to put the Naphcon A every two hours until I saw him again. I saw him today and my eyes were still very red and teary just like on March 11th. Absolutely no change in the redness and tearing. He said stop the NaphA as now I may be reacting to the preservatives in the drops. He said to wait it out and do nothing. He gave me Refresh Plus without any preservative to
use three times a day to soothe eye since I was tearing. I see him
again on 4/13. I have been taking FosamaxD, Effexor, & Simistatin every day for several years. Help! Thank you.
Thank you for the detailed history. I suspect you were having a viral conjunctivitis. The thing that I would have to disagree with is using Naphcon so frequently to reduce the redness. You see it will constrict the blood vessels and mask the redness but it is temporary and can lead to worsening redness when used as often as you were prescribed. At this point, if you have not purchase the Refresh Plus (or if you have and find it ineffective) I would suggest using refresh Celluvisc, again it has no preservative but will be more viscous (oily) and help repair the inflamed and irritated surface epithelium. Within a week or so, the eye should feel much better, Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Hi Dr.Stevens - I have not purchased the Refresh Plus and find that it is soothing but that's about it so far.   I will purchase the Refresh Celluvisc since no preservative and see if any better.   I do want something that can repair the irritated red surface of my eye so this may help.

I was fearing because I am in my 4th week of very red eyes that this was going to be permanent since I never saw any improvement.

Thank you for your advice.
Hi Dr.Stevens - I have not purchased the Refresh Plus and find that it is soothing but that's about it so far. I will purchase the Refresh Celluvisc since no preservative and see if any better. I do want something that can repair the irritated red surface of my eye so this may help. I was fearing because I am in my 4th week of very red eyes that this was going to be permanent since I never saw any improvement. Thank you for your advice.
You are welcome, Regards
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist