Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My eyes, burn,itch and swell below my bottom eye lid, it

Customer Question
looks like fluid, what is...
my eyes, burn,itch and swell below my bottom eye lid, it looks like fluid, what is it
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Eye
3/25/2009
Eye Doctor: Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Do you have any discharge? Are the lids stuck together due to mattering or debris?

sometimes, my lids are not stuck together and I have no mattering. My problem is continuous swelling in the area under my eye lids mostly in the area closest to my nose, when it swells my eyes are red, and hurt the area that is swollen is really tender

Hello there

most of these problems are very easy to diagnose just on appearance alone. My inclination is that you have ocular allergies and this is causing eye discomfort and eyelid edema or swelling. My suggestion will be to use cool compresses to help soothe the eye and lids, and this will allow the swelling to decrease. Also use artificial tears such as Optive or Genteal several times a day. Lastly I would recommend the use of something like Zaditor which is an allergy medicine 2 times daily. This as well as the tears are Over The Counter. This regimen should help, if not, you should seek an eye care professional for management, Regards, ***** *****

I have been checked for allergies, I do not have any. I have went to 4 professionals. I am currently using Lotemax, which does not seem to be helping.
can you post a picture of the swelling?
no, it is inthe area just under my eye lid in the corners towards my nose
That is where the lacrimal sac is, the sac for the drain that basically drains the surface of the eyeballs. Fluid build up in that area is often the end result of chronic inflammation, aging, orbital fat prolapse and rarely thyroid related issues (hypothyroid). The most practical advise I have is to apply cool packs to try to reduce the swelling. I wish you well. Dr. Stevens
any meds I can take or anything besides cool packs?
Besides lotemax, what all have you tried?
topax, I think is what it is called, some oral antibiotics, and antibiotic ointment
I would suggest Zaditor, it is OTC, used 2 times daily. I think it is worth using to see if it helps your symptoms.
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist