Dr J Burk
Dr J Burk, PCP
Experience:  MBBS
5101698

Is there a causal relationship between lack of depth

Customer Question

is there a causal relationship between lack of depth perception (due to blindness in one eye) and balance and coordination? ie; can a person have some difficulty walking heel to toe or standing on one foot because he is blind in one eye and has no depth perception and it is night time outside?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 8 years ago.
Hi

No these functions are independent of each other.

For example if you close both your eyes you can still walk in a straight line.

Balance and co-ordination are functions of the cerebellum , inner ear and the proprioceptors of the peripheral nervous system.

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you for replying - however, since the website heavily advertised prompt responses and this one took over 17 hours I do not feel it was worth $9. In that amount of time I could have researched the answer myself.
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 8 years ago.
Hi

I posted my answer within minutes of reading your question.

Dr Jef