European Law

Have European Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

My gardener recently removed ivy from a boundary wall

between my wall and two...
My gardener recently removed ivy from a boundary wall between my wall and two neighbours walls. (Work completed without my knowledge while I was out).
The removal of ivy has exposed the neighbours garden and also exposed damage in the wall on my side and bulging roots on the neighbours side. These roots originate from a dead tree bark onmy side of the garden.
The neighbours are complaining about their privacy and security being compromised. They want me to repair and rebuild the wall higher than it's original height. The ivy had been concealing their garden as it had grown to about a foot in height and depth.
Am I legally bound to rebuild the wall higher than it's original height at my expense or if works are agreed should they contribute to the cost.
Answered in 1 day by:
3/15/2018
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Michelle, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you!
Michelle~Moderator
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would like reply that's why I asked the question again and paid fee.
Jamie Law
Jamie Law, Solicitor

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

No. You have to reinstate the wall.

But you don’t have to build higher,

It is just like for like. Nothing the neighbour can say makes you under an obligation to build higher.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please? If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does the neighbour have to contribute to cost.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does the neighbooour have to contribute to cost

No. Because your Gardner did the damage.

Does that clarify?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face at the top of the screen, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Jamie Law
Jamie Law, Solicitor
Jamie Law
Jamie Law
Jamie Law, Solicitor