European Law

Have European Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

I am uk citizen, living in switzerland with Swiss residence.

Customer Question
I am uk citizen...

I am uk citizen , living in switzerland with Swiss residence. Will i need to sta

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am uk citizen , living in switzerland with Swiss residence. Will i need visa to stay in austria for more than 90 days, I am visiting Salzburg area

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None as i did not know if there is this requirement

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I cannot think of any - but can give lawyer details they may require

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: European Law
12/29/2017
Lawyer: Buachaill, Barrister replied 6 months ago
Buachaill
Buachaill, Barrister

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. No, you won't need a visa to live and work in Austria for more than 90 days, so long as you can support yourself whilst you are there. This is because a British citizen has the right to reside in another EU state such as Austria for as long as they want, so long as they can support themselves and are not a burden on the social welfare system in the host country.

2. It makes no difference that you are residing in Switzerland and not in the UK. You still enjoy the same rights of Free Movement as you are a British citizen.

3. Please Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website for answering your question.

I understand the answer you have given. This is standard information on the government website. What i do require is what happens if i wish to stay longer than the 90 day period. I believe because i have a resident permit for Switzerland which is in the Schengen area - i will still not require a visa fir Austria. this is what i need clarified.If you could help please as to what are the possibilities or what is required for staying longer than the 90 day period.Kind regards

4. There is nothing required merely because you want to stay more than 90 days. There is no resident permit for a British citizen residing in Austria. British citizens don't require a Schengen visa. A Schengen visa is only obtained by non-EU nationals. You are a British national so you don't require a Schengen visa. The only requirement for a stay beyond 90 days in Austria is that you don't become a burden on the Austrian Social Welfare system. This is the whole basis for Freedom of Movement rights in the EU.

i am very satisfied with the information given - have no further questionsThank you

5. You are welcome. Please Rate or accept the answer using the buttons at the top of the page as otherwise the Expert remains unpaid by the website for answering your question even though you may have paid the website.