European Law

Have European Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

I have a quesion regarding contract law (tenancy/renting).

Hello I have a quesion regarding...
Hello
I have a quesion regarding contract law (tenancy/renting). Someone wanted to rent my house and signed for it. As I am overseas we signed scanned dox. He changed the contract actually ie. Reduced the 2 months deposit to 1. I didn’t check this section as I never believed he would change this part of contract. Mea culpa. But the changed contract stated he would bring the deposit and also transfer the first months rent prior to the key handover.
On handover date he didnt transfer the requested money. I agreed even in this case that he could take the keys but since he hadn’t transferred the money, he would have to bring 2 months rent in cash the next day. I asked my sister to add clause to contract stating, “contract is not valid until full 3 months are paid”. The prospective tenant was a businessman from Slowakia and wanted to rent through his company in Slowakia. He contacted me next day that he had spoken to his accountant who told him not to take cash and that she advised him “to get me to transfer the deposit back to his account in Slowakia so that he could then transfer all 3 months payment at once back to me.” I didnt feel comfortable with this as it could have tax implications for me and I also felt he was trying to get his deposit back first and then back out of contract.
I told him I would do this and also preferred to have his name and not his company on the contract. He refused this because he wants to rent via his company so he can pay less taxes I guess.
So I still have a half deposit but an empty house. Can I keep this since he didnt honor the agreement? Ie he didn’t transfer the rent as stated. There was a definite intent to take my property but for whatever reason he wanted out.
12/21/2017
Jamie Law
Jamie Law, Solicitor

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Did he sign anything?

I stated in the second sentance - Someone wanted to rent my house and signed for it. So yes, he signed and I signed.

Yes I saw that but that was mainly dealing with electronic signatures.

If he has signed an agreement then yes, you can keep what you have of the deposit.

In theory, you could sue for breach of contract for the period which was agreed to be rented.

But based on what you have said, you can certainly keep the deposit which you have.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

If not I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. If you need more help, you can ask follow up questions for free and I would be delighted to assist. Thanks!

Thank you Jamie. But even after I wrote that contract was null and void until it was fully paid ie remaining 2 months? Am guessing yes, because he wanted into the contract initially? I know you are in US, but am guessing you are familiar also with Irish law?
He physically signed the contract with the above mentioned addendum

UK! The site is USA based.

You are entitled to keep the deposit paid.

Does that assist?

OK, am guessing as you are in UK you are familiar with Irish law, most likely its same?

Yes, I am. I am familiar with EU law.

Does that assist?

Jamie Law
Jamie Law, Solicitor
tnx