European Law

Have European Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

I would like to purchase a house but don't like the idea of…

I would like to...

I would like to purchase a house but don't like the idea of paying stamp duty and all the other trumped taxes that go along with it. I, under duress, pay income tax which I believe is more than enough for the "state" to keep its grubby hands off anything I choose to purchase. Is home ownership a right or a privilege? Please advise in the best approach to acquire my home at the advertised price?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Dublin, Ireland.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No I'm still window shopping

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thanks

11/19/2017
Jamie Law
Jamie Law, Solicitor

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to know, can you avoid stamp duty?

avoid stamp duty, property tax and all other tars involved in owning a home
taxes not "tars"

You can't. Its prescribed by law. Its like income tax. You may not like paying it but sadly you cant avoid it.

All property is subject to stamp duty, save for a charity.

So unless you are a charity you cant avoid this tax.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

An honest lawyer eh... of all the lawyers in all the land ;) While disappointed with the answer no doubt "another expert" will copy and paste. Thanks anyway.

I dont make up the laws, that is down to the Government. I can only tell you what the law is.

All lawyers are honest. Their first duty is to the Court.

Does that clarify?

While I understand your duty is to the court, but I was of the understanding your job is to help people. Government make "acts" which apply to certain "persons". I was of the understanding purchasing property is contract law, a contract between the seller and buyer... the government is neither buying or selling but appear to over reach into the agreement.

Yes it is. That is second duty. My duty is not to help the Government. But unless you are a charity, stamp duty is payable.

Does that clarify?

Jamie Law
Jamie Law, Solicitor