European Law

Have European Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

My father passed away- he lived in Greece. I have provided…

Customer Question
My father passed away-...

My father passed away- he lived in Greece. I have provided the attorney in Greece with my authenticated birth cert and marriage license of my parents. My mother's name is ***** ***** Sandra Tsakiris on my birth cert. On her marriage license (as well as most other documents) her name is***** attorney is Greece is asking for something "from the consulate" stating that this is the same person.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I live in Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

The "proof" needs to satisfy regulations in Greece.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have my mother's death cert, stating I am her daughter. I have her marriage license to her second husband

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: European Law
11/14/2017
Lawyer: DamienBosco,
 replied 5 months ago
DamienBosco

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Do you have a particular question regarding US law?

My question is what will be acceptable in Greece as proof that my mother listed on my birth cert as Sandra, is the same person as Cassandra, which is on her marriage license.
as stated above, I have her death cert, listing me as her daughter
Lawyer: DamienBosco,
 replied 5 months ago

Thank you for the clarification. Your question appeared in the US attorney database to answer. I am not sure if there is a Greece law category. I will attempt to contact customer service for you to see if there is a Greece attorney to help you.

Lawyer: EULawyer, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
EULawyer
EULawyer, Lawyer

Dear Customer,

I am an EU attested attorney, and am familiar with the Greek civil status system.

What the attorney needs is to see that Sandra and Cassandra, i.e. your mother, is one and the same person. In other words, it is not a question of you being her daughter, but a question of being able to "follow" her legal life throughout every civil status event in her and your life.

There are three kinds of documents that would be acceptable:

a) there could be a name change or new name document. For example, her US naturalization document, if she ever did that, would list her Greek and her US name as well. She could have made a Deed Poll. Or there could be some official document in the US stating both her names;

b) if that is not available, the Greek Consulate in the US may be able to attest that she is the one and the same person, through a document issued for the purpose from the population database of Greece. You would go to the Consulate and ask for proof that the person appearing in her birth, marriage, death certificates, and your birth certificate, is one and the same;

c) if that is not available either, you could make a statement, together with two other witnesses not related to you or her, that she was the same person. This statement would ideally be made at the Greek Consulate. It could also be made at a local notary public, and then receive the Apostille from the Maryland Secretary of State.

I appreciate none of the options are very easy. This is an issue in countries applying the European civil status system.

I hope my answer was useful and look forward to your rating, which is essential to my activity.

Cordially,

Dr I L Vlad

EULawyer
EULawyer
EULawyer, Lawyer