European Law

Have European Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Is it possible to extend a Schengen visa issued by the

Is it possible to...

Is it possible to extend a Schengen visa issued by the Italian Consulate in another Schengen state?

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I haven't. I want to travel to Tenerife for a wedding but my Schengen visa expires on the 3rd of October while the wedding is on the 6th of October.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I hold a Nigerian passport and plan to be in Tenerife on the 2nd of October

9/29/2017
José M.
José M., Attorney

Hi, Its possible to extend it in some special cases, but if you came for a weeding should be better to ask for the visa at the border or even to ask for a new one to spanish embassy

To extend a visa is harder than to get a new one and probebly rejected

If I were you I will ask for a new one at the border.

In exceptional circumstances, you may extend your stay in Spain without having to leave the country. What an exceptional circumstance is, is decided on a case to case basis and is left to the individual immigration officer to take a decision on.. The period of validity and/or the duration of stay of an issued visa shall be extended where the Police consider that a visa holder has provided proof of force majeure or humanitarian reasons preventing him from leaving the territory before the expiry of the period of validity of or the duration of stay authorized by the visa

The period of validity and/or the duration of stay of an issued visa may be extended if the visa holder provides proof of serious personal reasons justifying the extension of the period of validity or the duration of stay

Nationals that require a Schengen Visa can only extend their stay to 90 days within a 6 month period whilst Schengen Visa exempt nationals can extend their stay for more than 90 days. In both cases only if the applicant can prove an exceptional circumstance to why they should be allowed to remain.

REQUIREMENTS:

In order to remain you must also meet the following requirements:

1. Not be a citizen of a State of the EuropeanUnion, the European Economic Areaor Switzerland, or family of citizens of those countries which apply to them the regime of citizens of the
  2. Not be subject to any cause of prohibition of entry or of deportation or removal;
  3. You must have means of support yourself for the period of the extension of stay for which you are applying;
  4. You must have travel insurance which covers any medical or repatriation expenses which may result from a sudden accident or illness during the period of the extension for which you are applying;
  5. You must guarantee your return to the country of origin of origin or to a third country by, for example, show a ticket bearing your name with a closed return date prior to the end of the stay you apply for.
  6. You must have proof of the exceptional reasons when applying for the extension.

Example of reason of force majeure:

Last minute change of flight schedule by airline (e.g. due to weather conditions, strike).

Example of humanitarian reasons:

Sudden serious illness of the person concerned (meaning that the person is unable to travel) or sudden serious illness or death of a close relative living in a Member State

DOCUMENTATION:

• Application form on the official form (EX-00) in duplicate, duly completed and signed by the foreigner. This form can be obtained http://extranjeros.empleo.gob.es/es/ModelosSolicitudes/.
• Complete passport or travel document with higher than the extension of stay is requested validity and separate document if it had entered Spain with other documentation.
• Documentation for adequate financial means. For example: cash, certified check or travel, payment cards …

• Proof of having travel insurance.
    • Documentation ensure the return to the country of origin.
    • Documentation of the exceptional reasons why the extension is requested.

PROCEDURE

You must submit the following documentation with an extension to stay longer in Spain:

• A completed and signed application form EX00 in duplicate;
  • A copy of your complete passport, which must be valid until after the end of the extension of stay for which you are applying. You must show the original document (passport) when submitting the application;
  • Supporting documentation proving that you have means to support yourself, for example, cash holdings, a certified cheque or travellers’ cheque receipt;
  • Travel health care insurance.
  • Documentation which guarantees your return to the country of origin, such as a plane ticket out of Spain
  • Documentation supporting the exceptional reasons why you are applying for the extension.

After you have collected the required documentation you should follow the procedure below to extend your stay in Spain:

1. Apply for registration in person (or through a legal representative if you are a minor) at the local Immigration Office (Oficina de Extranjería) or, if this is not possible, the local Police Station (Comisaría) in the Province where you wish to live or settle before your visa expires or before the 90 day period has passed;
  2. Pay the €16.32 extension fees plus €1.02 euros for each day you wish to extend your stay;
  3. If your extension of stay is granted this will be entered in your passport; and
  4. If the extension of stay is refused, this decision means you have to leave Spain. You must leave before the end of your initial stay period or, if this date has passed, before the deadline stipulated by the decision, which cannot be more than 72 hours. The deadline for leaving will be entered in your passport.
Are you aware if this can be done in Tenerife?

Yes it could be done at the border or even and better once you are in at the closer police station

I gently ask for a good rate of my service

Thank you

José M.
José M., Attorney