European Law

Have European Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

European Law

My 23-year-old step daughter was born and lives in Germany.

Both her parents are german...
My 23-year-old step daughter was born and lives in Germany. Both her parents are german but divorced in Scotland in 2007. Step daughter was sent back to germany in 2009 to complete her secondary education (realschule?)
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Step daughter lives in Heidelberg but she has dual citizenship in america because of her mother. The problem is she refuses to go to school (had atlas 3 attempts in the past) and did not sit her exams and just didn't go to school. She also refuses to work. Claims she is mentally unfit.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I am in the process of emailing a lawyer for advice but i haven't signed a contract with one and just waiting on them getting back to me. Im just looking for advice. So far the lawyer says it would have to be my husband that would have to sign a contract with them.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is this free advice?? I am not native german i am british and don't understand the german education system?
I am looking for advice in regards ***** ***** step-daughter on what is legally my husband’s responsibility in financially supporting his 23-year-old daughter (born in 1994) maintenance money?
My husband has asked me to find this information out on his behalf as he is working during the day and does not have the time.
Step-daughter lives in Heidelberg, Germany. Her father still lives in UK but has just recently found (2 months) temporary work in Germany from August until October. Step-daughter’s mother (has dual citizenship in America and moved back there 2 years ago and works there.
Here is the back ground story:
Both my husband and his ex-wife were both native Germans and have 4 children together all born in Germany and all children have dual citizenship in America from their mother.
Both parents moved to UK about 17 years ago. Parents split up and divorced in 2007 in UK. step-daughter was sent back to Germany in 2009 when she was about 15 years of age to complete her high school (Realschule?) education.Step-daughter did not complete her high school education and does not have a high school certificate. Her father has always paid maintenance before she was 18.
Since she has turned 18 her father has been financially supporting her about 70%. As in paying her rent, phone bill and her utility bills (about 800/900 euros per month). Over the years, step-daughter has had 3 attempts to complete her high school education but has failed to turn up for school or sit any exams. So does not have a certificate of finishing secondary school.In the past step-daughter has seen a therapist in 2015 for emotional problems but refused to tell us the outcome.
But as far as we know she has not been signed off as medically unfit to work.
However, step-daughter does not want to go to school. Step-daughter does not want to work.Because her father was earning a low wage since 2016 and he had no work for several months. He has in March 2017 giving his daughter 6 months’ notice. He told her, we are going to stop paying her rent and cancelling the lease for the flat in from 30.09.17 and no longer paying any of her bills after this date. She will have to move out on 30.09.17 date and get a job and support herself.
We have advised her she needs to get some formal education or apprenticeship (Lerhling?).
We have told her she will need to get a job and support herself. However, we will try and financially support her only when and If she does get a school place we will support her financially then.Step daughter has since managed to work in May 2017 but only for about 4 weeks and did not tell us why she no longer works.On 5th of September 17, my step daughter has told us we have to send her father’s tax returns directly to her as she claims she thinks she is entitled to BaföG and that we have to pay her maintenance up to age 27. She said it is compulsory by law! She claims her mother has already sent tax receipts to her directly. She also has asked her father to pay her health insurance.At present she does not have a school place yet. She does not have a job or apprenticeship or didn’t last very long in these jobs.Where do we stand legally?1) At present he will only have health insurance for about 2 months while temporary work from 7th August until about 6th October 2017 in Germany. Is her father legally responsible to pay her health insurance?
2)Her father says he is only willing to send his tax receipts to the BaföG directly when they get in touch or if his daughter gives us the address or email to send it to. Is my husband correct or does he by law have to give his daughter his tax receipts only to her?
3) Is her father correct in telling her she has to show proof she has a school place or proof she has some sort of apprenticeship before he is willing to give her any type of financial support?
4) If she claims she can’t work because she is mentally unfit, is her father correct in asking for proof that he is legally responsible to financially support her and at what age by law would this end she claims she will never be fit to work?
5) She is meant to be moving in with friends of the family on the 30th of September.
6) Is 23-year-old step daughter financially responsible for herself while she does not seem to have a job? And she does not have a school place at the moment or an apprenticeship so does she have to work to support herself or are her parents legally still responsible to financially support her?
9/20/2017
EULawyer
EULawyer, Lawyer

Welcome to JustAnswer!
As your European Law expert, I am reviewing your question and will try to find a good answer for you.

okay, how long will it take?
I have already been charged £45 pounds and didn't get an answer because i never got to ask any questions except the only question answered was the one if this was free and was promptly directed to pay account??
I appreciate there are 5 questions but would prefer if you typed me the answer. Is that possible? It's so i don't forget what you told me. Thank you

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your question. I will answer your questions in the order you asked them in the clarification message:

1. The father is not directly obliged to pay health insurance. He is only obliged to provide maintenance as described below;

2. Parents are obliged to give all financial information to their children, to allow ascertainment of maintenance obligations. If the father does not do so, he may be compelled by the courts if she takes this step. On the contrary, BafoG does not receive such documents directly from other persons, only from the applicant;

3. Unfortunately not. The father is obliged to pay maintenance (see below for conditions) regardless of what the daughter does or not does, i.e. including if she does nothing and just relies on him;

4. Her father may not require any proof of mental incapacity. She would be obliged to provide it only if she claimed additional support, in the sense of support for her entire life's expenses, which she would be entitled to if she proved she was mentally impaired. Otherwise, for the basic support (see below) she does not have to prove anything;

There is no upper age limit to the obligation of support;

5. Being over 18, she can decide where to live on her own. If the maintenance payments are not enough for her current lifestyle, she will indeed have to downsize, but not necessarily to move with the persons the father specifies;

6. As an adult, she is responsible for herself. However, the father (and the mother, for that purpose), must pay allowance too.

7. Explanation as to payments:

-> Parents are responsible for their children without age limit.

-> However, if the children are "morally wrong" such as if they don't work, then, if they go to court to claim maintenance, the maintenance can be lowered to a "just" level. In other words, without a trial the father must not pay anything upfront if he thinks unjust. If a trial takes place, it will be the daughter's obligation to show how much she needs and why it is just to claim it from her father.

-> Nevertheless, some maintenance is always due regardless of the circumstances or inaction of the child.

I hope this is useful and look forward to your rating, which is essential to my activity.

Cordially,

Dr I L Vlad

EULawyer
EULawyer, Lawyer
Wow, thank you very much for your quick response. It was very helpful and we know what we are dealing with.
Thank you again
EULawyer
EULawyer
EULawyer, Lawyer