European Law

Have European Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

European Law

My husband and I married in Jan 2016 in Vietnam. In May

2016, I flew to Germany...
My husband and I married in Jan 2016 in Vietnam. In May 2016, I flew to Germany with D Visa. When I stayed there, my husband didn't register our marriage and make resident permit for me. After 3 months, I flew back to Vietnam due to expired Visa. Since then we didn't not have contact. Now is more than one year separation. Could you please guide me step by step for a divorce in Germany. Many thanks. Chao
9/7/2017
EULawyer
EULawyer, Lawyer

Welcome to JustAnswer!
As your European Law expert, I am reviewing your question and will try to find a good answer for you.

Dear Madam,

Thank you for your question. I am very sorry for your situation, because by his inaction your husband has put you in a very difficult position.

First of all, a word about international competence also known as jurisdiction. Under German law, you can file for divorce in Germany. However, on the other hand, you can also file for divorce in Vietnam. If you divorce in Vietnam, you have at least the following advantages:

1. You will be "on your own ground", the trial will take place in your own language, and he will have to react to it, by coming to you, rather than you fighting in his country's courts;

2. The process whereby the divorce decision from Vietnam can be recognized in Germany is much easier than a full divorce in Germany;

3. The costs are presumably much lower than in Germany (and you will see below why);

4. Also, since the marriage was not registered in Germany, you may have trouble proving that you are married with him in the first place, before German courts (it is not impossible, but it may mean having to register the marriage by force first, which means other money spent).

The most important thing to know about divorce in Germany is that you must be represented by an attorney. This is a legal obligation, under penalty of your letter to the court being dismissed out of hand. This is why, in other words, it would be of not much use to present the steps needed for a trial, since you are not allowed to take them anyway. In the main, the attorney will collect information and paperwork from you, summon your husband (who can accept the divorce out of hand, or contest it) and then go to court for the hearings. Once the decision is given, he will Apostille it, for you to obtain its recognition in Vietnam (which is another trial - one more reason to do it directly in Vietnam).

Lists of English-speaking attorneys can be found here (https://de.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/legal-assistance/).

Once again, the main point is that you cannot act yourself, and also you would most likely not qualify for legal aid in Germany (as a non-resident, non-citizen). So you would have to pay upfront.

On the other hand, as I wrote above, the smartest thing to do, if Vietnamese legislation allows, would be to invest in a local attorney in Vietnam, get the divorce there (your husband will have to react, either in person, or via a letter or an attorney), and only if need be, get it recognized in Germany.

I hope my answer was useful. I know it may not be what you were looking for, but I hope that the alternative, and the information on the procedural benefits of going through Vietnamese courts, are a useful information; and I look forward to your rating, which is essential to my activity.

Cordially,

Dr I L Vlad

EULawyer
EULawyer, Lawyer
Dear Vlad,Thank you for your answer. It is useful. For more information: our divorce is very simple, no children, no common property, no dept. He is a psychologist.
Incase my husband will not react in Vietnam divorce (it looks to me that way) and want to go for German divorce which cost me a lot. What should I do?
To finish the divorce in Vietnam, the only thing my husband must do is reply to Vietnam court via post with his signature and legallization. They will send divorce certificate directly to him. Risk free and cost free for my husband, I bear all the cost in Vietnam.
But if he will just keep quite, like he did for the last year, what could I do to push him reply?
EULawyer
EULawyer
EULawyer, Lawyer