How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask José M. Your Own Question
José M.
José M., Attorney
Category: European Law
Satisfied Customers: 6080
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
Type Your European Law Question Here...
José M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In addition regarding my son with civil partnership in Spain

Customer Question

In addition regarding my son with civil partnership in Spain if they don't marry she is Spanish he American then of a child he or she would be illegitimate a concern here. And in worst case scenario if they don't last and part my son would be responsible for child and would there be alimony to her as not legally married. Just concerned this was very impulsive and in secret of this partnership very much hurt the family out of character for my son although she obviously manipulated this. Thank you
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: European Law
Expert:  José M. replied 11 months ago.

The son will be legitimate married or not. The real thing is that your son recognice the minor at the civil register

Once he has done it becomes the right to see him and the alimony

Do not be to much worried, there is not to much what you could do

Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There is no child yet just proposing if so and they don't last why would he pay alimony if not married he did civil partnership only not civil union. We are concerned as he barely knew her things seem off although could work out if do encourage them to legally marryCivil partnership serms like common law in America no alimony is owed thank you
Expert:  José M. replied 11 months ago.

I see, the best advice your son could recibe is that she works and earns as so m oney as him so he will have no problems at future. Tell him not to mantein her for free

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She claims she can't find a job unemployment is poor in country although she is Spanish he is foreigner working twenty hours a week all he can as a teacher why upset he is there he is to be in law grad school last year when he met her in uk
Expert:  José M. replied 11 months ago.

That could be a worse problem to be married or not. She got a child and your son paying for ever

But there is not way to stop it if your son do not want to see it

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Presently there is no child if there was I would encourage matrimonyOn other hand if they do not last being in civil partnership he would not owe her alimony as not married anyway correct?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What part of Spain are you located at?
Expert:  José M. replied 11 months ago.

I am in Burgos 200 Km north of Madrid

If he mantein her for several years he could end having to pay her an alimony as expartnership....

So, the aim is not having to mantein her

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Understand but he is not legally married only partnership what would he have to give her hs if his pay for how long this has been three years thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
In America if you live together there are no financial responsibility of course if children very different you honor them.
Expert:  José M. replied 11 months ago.

In Spain is diferent. If he mantein her for several years she could ask for an alimony.

No matter if there are children or not. The matter is that you have to mantein her if you did it before

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is there a certain amount of years and exactly what amount in California it is fifty percent although must be legally married over ten years
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How could he have to pay alimony if not married a partnership is not marriage
Is there also a timeline of how many years it has been three now. I think they have to either commit or duscontinue. You mentioned he would not get social security he has paid into working there for three years please confirm think you
Expert:  José M. replied 10 months ago.

I need you accept the adicional service. Thank you

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
With regard to the civil partnership is there a minimum amount of time it applies if does not last that would affect her seeking alimony fir ex partnership? In America even if living together seven years does not apply you have to be in legal marriage either religious or civil union over ten years to seek alimony. Thank you