European Law

Have European Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

European Law

A friend had asked me to be a benafactor, his lawyer sent a

Customer Question
deed of lodge. what are...
a friend had asked me to be a benafactor, his lawyer sent a deed of lodge. what are my liability if i sign this document
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: his lawyer was florida
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no, my friend is deployed and as told he has to ship his property to states.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: tell me, in the beginning, his lawyer have asked for my driver license and passport copy. is that one of the requirment to be a benafactor. then i received via email for me to sign the copy of my identification and deed of loge as a beneficiary. this is a new thing for me and even i want to hlep my friend i have doubt
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: European Law
8/24/2016
Lawyer: Clare, Solicitor replied 1 year ago
Clare
Clare, Solicitor

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Could you explain a little more about the background to your question please

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My point is what is my liability if signing the deed of lodge for a friend. He is in the service and soon be back to states in 3 months and this is the reason to help him with it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you there
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where can I find my answers
Common what took you long to response please

As I understand it your friend is in the US military and has told you that he needs help in transferring some of his belongings home is that correct?

Have you personally met this person (yes there is a reason for the question)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No not in person
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are u there pls

I thought that might be the case

I am afraid that you are being set up to lose money as this is a Scam

The US military do not charge their personnel for returning their belongings after a deployment

You can read more here

http://www.military.com/spouse/relationships/can-you-spot-the-scammer.html

You are right to have concerns - the next step will be a request for money

Please ask if you need further details

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did I jeopardize giving my driver license and passport copy to the lawyer
What step should I do now please advise, I am scare

Please do not worry too much.

Simply change the passwords on your accounts - and alert your bank to check any overseas activities on your account if they occur

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did not give information any information of my bank account, what the lawyer had was copy of my driver license and passport. And of course my name, address and phone number. You think I am safe from there

You will be fine - but it is still worth warning the bank just in case

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you and I will do that. Just curious, you think they can hack my banking acct without info given to the lawyer

More a matter of creating believable accounts that may cause you problems - but wont if you have already warned your bank!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you so much for the help and it does help me relieve what was bothering me.

You are most welcome - and well done for having good instincts!

Clare
Clare
Clare, Solicitor