INC
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I am a teacher in the UAE. I reported my passport lost

Customer Question

I am a teacher in the UAE. I reported my passport lost before I went home for the summer. Shortly after I reported it lost I found it. I went home on that passport.
I was stopped in London and had to show my driver's license. In New York I was detained and my passport was taken. I explained that I needed the passport because my work visa was inside. I was told the best they could do was make me a copy but the passport had to be kept to be destroyed.
The next morning, I went to the passport office and started the process to get another passport. I got a new passport in the mail.
When I flew back to Abu Dhabi they said I couldn't enter the country because I didn't have my work visa in my passport. I don't know what to do. I had to fly out of the country and now am in Muscat, Oman. However, I am completely lost as to what my next step should be.
Category: European Law
Expert:  GSenmartin replied 11 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Is this a U.S. immigration question?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
sir, I don't know how I'm going to get back into the UAE with no work visa. It was in a passport that I reported lost, so the USA took it and destroyed it in New York.

Then it is not a U.S. immigration question. You are a citizen of which country? And you need a visa to come back into the U.S.?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am a US citizen. I need to know what to do get back into the UAE because my work visa is in the passport that was taken.

This is a U.S. immigration forum. I don't think we have any experts available in the laws of the UAE, but I will opt out and maybe someone else can help you. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok, thank you.