European Law

Have European Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

European Law

I live in Israel and I have written a book about my

Customer Question
former marriage. My husband was...

former marriage. My husband was abusive and violent. But in the book I never say so directly. I mainly use similes and metaphors. But I also say things like "I was captivated by a man who revered my wild spirit but demanded obedience; a man prone to outbursts of jealousy and rage. It doesn’t take much violence to subdue a woman." Can he sue me for defamation of character? Let me know if you want to see more quotes. There aren't many. Ava *********
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: European Law
3/9/2016
Lawyer: ratioscripta,
 replied 1 year ago
ratioscripta

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am going to assume that your husband also lives in Israel. Reply and let me know if this is not the case.

Defamation is defined as a falsity by a person, told a third party, and damages from that falsity.

There are several defenses to defamation in Israel, including:

(1) truth

(2) publication in good faith (believing it was true without having prior obligation to check the fact, opinion, criticism, reporting), or

(3) fair reports of official information.

Herein, if the information is TRUE, then a defamation suit should fail. Or, if the information was in GOOD FAITH (opinion for example), a defamation suit should fail.

The problem is that he can always attempt to sue. Even if he does not have a strong case, a party can try using a defamation suit as a way to attempt to "cripple" the opposing party, or to try to at least tell the world that "this is not true, even if I lose." So the answer is, he CAN sue. The question becomes of him winning or not.

B'hatzlacha.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Lawyer: ratioscripta,
 replied 1 year ago
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!
ratioscripta
ratioscripta
ratioscripta