EULawyer
EULawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office
84559455

My mother together with her brothers had been left various

Customer Question

Hi my mother together with her brothers had been left various plots of land in northern cyprus by their parents. They are yet to get the title deeds for these, as they went to land registry in 2009 only to discover that they did not know who their neighbours were in order to establish their land?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The reason i am writing to you know is if they do establish their neighbours, can they then sell their land or exchange it for land in South of Cyprus
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $45 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: European Law
Expert:  EULawyer replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your question. This is a really tricky issue. As you might know, Norther Cyprus is an unrecognized entity, meaning no state (other than Turkey) can deal with it at the state to state level, and there is a very complex arrangement regarding private documents (this was the topic of my PhD).

This is why the answer to your question is:

-> if they establish title to property they may sell the land, to anyone who is interested in buying it. They would receive Turkish Liras, which is good because they can be exchanged internationally;

-> however, it is extremely unlikely that they would be able to exchange it for land in the Republic of Cyprus (the South), because most Southern legal institutions would not make such a contract, nor would the northerners either. Plus, given the violent separation of the two communities, it is unlikely that there are persons in a similar situation wishing to trade southern for northern land. If you do find such a person, an exchange could, however, be structured as two sale contracts. One done in the north, your land for their money, and one done in the south, their land for your money, with the money then being compensated privately so that in fact it does not change hands. In this way, you would avoid recognition issues.

I hope my answer is helpful and look forward to your rating, which is essential to my activity.

Cordially,

Dr I L Vlad