How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask EULawyer Your Own Question
EULawyer, Lawyer
Category: European Law
Satisfied Customers: 269
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office
Type Your European Law Question Here...
EULawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father passed away just under a year ago now. I never met

Customer Question

Hi there my father passed away just under a year ago now. I never met my father, he was full Norwegian and lived in Norway his entire life. I am wondering if I am entitled to any inheritance? Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: European Law
Expert:  EULawyer replied 1 year ago.

Dear *****,

I am sorry for your loss. The answer to your question is yes, according to Norwegian law children are entitled to at least 2/3 of the estate of their parent (if there is more than one child they share the 2/3 between them), after any surviving spouse has received an appropriate share (usually 1/3).

This happens even if there is a Will, because under Norwegian law a person may not disinherit a child even through a Will. Thus, if there is no Will and no spouse children receive the entire estate.

Therefore, I strongly suggest you inquire about your father's estate sooner rather than later, because you should have an entitlement over it.

The practical problem with Norway is that it is not a party to the EU Succession Regulation, nor does it have a register of Wills kept by notaries as other European countries do. Therefore, unless you live in the Nordic Countries as well (there is a 1934 Nordic Convention which can facilitate bureaucracy in such a case), you will have to inquire directly with a local attorney to make the necessary procedures and searches on the ground (property register search, business register for any company to his name etc.).

As I am not allowed to make representations via JA, I would like to point to the website, which is part of a network ( which can provide such assistance, but it is only an example. Also, you may find English-apeaking attorneys qualified in Norway here:

I hope my answer helped you and look forward to your rating which is essential to my activity.


Dr I L Vlad