How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask EULawyer Your Own Question
EULawyer, Lawyer
Category: European Law
Satisfied Customers: 250
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office
Type Your European Law Question Here...
EULawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Purchasing a vehicle/motorhome in Austria without EU

Customer Question

Purchasing a vehicle/motorhome in Austria without EU residency but with an Italian passport: What are the rules related to my possible purchase of a motorhome in Austria and my subsequent driving of the motorhome to Italy in order to permanently insure,
register and licence-plate it there? After that Italian registration, I would travel throughout Europe for 7 months (but not stay in any one country for more than 5 months) and then would return to Canada for 5 months (this would be an annual or biennial routine/itinerary,
with the motorhome to be stored in Italy every year and the possibility that I would be able to return to Europe only every two years or so). If the above is possible, could any part of the purchase transaction and the temporary license-plating/insurance for
my drive to Italy be conducted remotely from Canada? (I realize you may not be available to answer this question for a few days.)
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: European Law
Expert:  EULawyer replied 1 year ago.

Dear Sir,

I have only now returned to constant internet contact and noticed your question. For once, I must decline because there is a big gap in my knowledge, namely how does one procure an "Ausfuhrkennzeichen" (export registration plate) in Austria. Specifically, this is a service offered by the OAMTC (which is the drivers' national organization in Austria -, but it is not detailed and I have trouble reaching them from this neck of the woods.

As a general outline, there are always two options: purchasing the car from an authorized dealer, which would then procure the short-term insurance (for this as well I did not find any Germany-like easy option of purchasing it online), and the export registration plates; or from a private person, where it gets tricky, because it seems the only way to procure these two things yourself is to be there and go at the local OAMTC office. I could find no company that does this on-line and I cannot say anything about doing it by proxy.

Please feel free not to rate my answer. I leave it open to other members if they are better informed than me of this issue.


Dr Ioan-Luca Vlad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you care to address, in a new question I'd ask, the comparable buying/registering situation for an motorhome purchase in Slovenia...or would you prefer that I ask that of a different expert? I understand, either way.
Expert:  EULawyer replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for putting up the issue here.

Indeed, I would rather not engage in Slovenia law. It is very much outside my area of expertise, both in terms of law as of language.

Thank you again for the tactfulness of asking first here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am quite willing to rate this reply but I am wondering whether, if I do,
this question will becomes "closed" and therefore not open to replies from other experts. I would like to hear from others regarding this matter so please advise.
Expert:  EULawyer replied 1 year ago.

No, please do not rate it because then the interest of other experts would be zero. I will opt out of it, and remove it from my list, which opens it to any other experts. Then two things can happen: either somebody answers, and you can rate their answer, or no other expert does, in which case it just disappears just like the duplicate one before.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Until next time...

Related European Law Questions