INC
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

HelloMy step father was a british citizen.after retirement he returned

Customer Question

Hello
My step father was a british citizen.after retirement he returned to guyana is original place of birth an started a new life with my mom.remarried to her after his first wifed died.had one child with her who is the only got the benefit after he died.my mom an i were in the process of moving to the uk 3 months b4 his death to formalise our papers.after his death the embassy said thers nothing that they can do for us.even after we got a visa just b4 he died.even my mom they said is not entitle to no cover or reddress with thier immigration.my sister has tried feverishly to get the two of us to the uk with no avail.any insight.
Category: European Law
Expert:  Thegonnec replied 1 year ago.
As non EU relatives of a UK citizen you had right to residence in the EU (or UK for that matter) as long as you resided with him. After you father's death, and even if visas were issued before the death, your mother and yourself can avail yourselves of no legal reason to move to the UK. Unless you qualified for British citizenship before he died but, in that case, you would not have needed any visa.To sum it up, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, the non-EU residents, non-EU citizens, relatives of a deceased EU citizen have no recourse against UK Immigration and Naturalisation's decision to veto their entry in the UK.