How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask José M. Your Own Question
José M.
José M., Attorney
Category: European Law
Satisfied Customers: 6009
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
Type Your European Law Question Here...
José M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are a retired couple and hold Permanent Resident cards from

This answer was rated:

We are a retired couple and hold Permanent Resident cards from Spain, but we have lived for almost five years in France.
Can we renew our Permanent Resident status in France, or must we start all over again with a basic resident card?
I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We gather you wish to know what we have tried so far.

We have not taken any action or steps regarding renewal - not in Spain , not in France.

So, does France accept that we are already Permanent Residents of the EU via Spain and grant such status upon first application, or not?


We are running out of time - cards expire in a few months.

Thank you. We will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.


You need to ask in France for a permanent visa because the spanish one could not be renew in France and you have no residence in Spain

So, you have to demand a new permanent residence visa in France

José M., Attorney
Category: European Law
Satisfied Customers: 6009
Experience: Spanish Attorney
José M. and other European Law Specialists are ready to help you
Legally, if you are American, you cannot live in France with a Spanish resident's card.
Only short stay visas (max 90 days) are common between France, Spain and the other Schengen treaty countries.
Before moving to France you should have applied for a French long stay visa and a resident card (one year renewable for the first 5 years).
Normally you should now apply for these from either the USA or from Spain (whichever is your last country of residence).
If you apply now from France, you risk being deported back to the US and having much trouble obtaining a long stay visa and a new residence permit.

You can no use Spain as long you had not reside here in the last 5 years

Only in France and you have to start from cero

The visa you have now does not help you

And you need to start the process outside of France as, as of now, you are staying as illegal aliens in France with a Spanish residence status not recognized by France for stays over 90 days.

Related European Law Questions