How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Your Own Question
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: European Law
Satisfied Customers: 96
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your European Law Question Here...
INC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I lived from 2006-2010 in Netherlands on behalf of my company

Customer Question

I lived from 2006-2010 in Netherlands on behalf of my company doing work in hospitals across the EU. My American company was only able to secure me a residence permit for 18 months which expired in 2009. So for about a year after that, they caused me to break the law by overstaying my 90 days visa as a tourist. They thought once 90 days is up, I can travel outside of the EU, and then instantly return to the EU to 'reset' the 90 days. This is not the case. After doing this, under my company's advice for about a year or more, finally when I am about to return to live in the US, the Dutch government catches on. I return to US in Feb 2011, and shortly after the Dutch government banned me from the EU for 3 years. I have not been aware of this since the decision was made after I returned to the US at my company's behest.

3 days ago, I took a flight to Amsterdam for the first time since Feb 2011, and was denied entry into the country, arrested, and jailed overnight. The next morning I was put back on a flight back home where I just arrived yesterday. Today I contacted my (now former) company's HR director whom I know personally, and informed her of the situation.

Because it is pretty apparent that my former company is at fault, and was quite negligent, even though they apparently hired a Dutch immigration lawyer to oversee my affairs (who did basically nothing for me my entire stay in the Netherlands), it would be I think quite easy to personally negotiate a reimbursement for the cost of the flight, which was $1700. However, in this case, I believe I have suffered unduly because of my company's negligence and I want to see more compensation but are not sure how much is feasible/reasonable, and which is the best way to approach the situation?
I also have emails records documenting the discourse with the lawyers, and the exhibition of negligence on their part. I also have documentation for all travel and work I did in Europe from 2006-2010.

How much am I entitled to? And how is the process initiated?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: European Law
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 4 years ago.

I'm Wendy, and I’m a moderator for this Legal topic.

We have been working with our professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had found an answer or if you still needed assistance from one of our professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Tax, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This is not a sufficient answer....I don't have faith this servicr can assist me. I desire a full refund