How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask A.Valcke Your Own Question
A.Valcke, Solicitor
Category: European Law
Satisfied Customers: 740
Experience:  14+ years experience // Masters in EU Law
Type Your European Law Question Here...
A.Valcke is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hiI am a British citizen living in HK. I have homes in

This answer was rated:

I am a British citizen living in HK.
I have homes in Spain and I am thinking of retiring there . I am an insulin dependent diabetic . My question is when I get to Spain what is my entitlement as part of the Eu to free medication in a similar fashion to that which I receive in the UK from the NHS?
do I have to register in Spain and what forms do I need to complete?
I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I still need an answer to this question

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I look forward to hearing from you

Thank you.

We are still working with the professionals to find you the best possible match. I wanted to touch base to see if you still needed a professional’s assistance.

Please let me know if you would like to continue to wait or if you would like to cancel your question at this time. We sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the extended wait time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

happy to wait for an answer

Thanks for your patience while we continue to search. I will mark this high priority for you.



Thank you for your question.


I would need a little bit more information from you in order to answer.


If you move to Spain, will you be in receipt of a state pension from the UK or any other EU country?


If not, will your income be over €100,000?


I look forward to your response.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When iMovie to Spain I will only be 60 so will not be receiving a pension, although I will have a private pension
I do not know what my income will be if any so safe to assume it will be less than 100 k
Thank you for confirming your situation.

As a person who moves to reside in Spain, you will be subject to the Spanish social security system.

Since you will not be working there, you should in principle be allowed to affiliate to the Spanish healthcare system if your income is below €100,000. This is confirmed by the Spanish Royal Decree 1192/2012.

You must make a declaration that you do not have compulsory health care coverage from another source (e.g. document from the UK authorities to state you are not covered by NHS in the UK) and must provide your registration number with the Central Register of Foreign Nationals.

This first requires you to register with the local authorities ("residencia"). You can find out more about registration formalities in Spain on the following website:

Now once you are registered with the Spanish system, you should know that it does not necessarily operate on the same basis as the NHS. This means you may have to contribute to part of the costs of medicine you need.

You can find out more about social security system in this official EU guide:

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards

A. Valcke
A.Valcke, Solicitor
Category: European Law
Satisfied Customers: 740
Experience: 14+ years experience // Masters in EU Law
A.Valcke and other European Law Specialists are ready to help you
I forgot to add that should you face problems in registering in Spain, you may want to contact Your Europe Advice and submit an enquiry:

I wish you all the best with your move.

Kind regards

A. Valcke
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for all your help
You're welcome!