How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask T.DePas Your Own Question
T.DePas, Attorney
Category: European Law
Satisfied Customers: 459
Experience:  Solicitor - Ph.D. Doctor Europaeus in EU law
Type Your European Law Question Here...
T.DePas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Question for Italian/EU Immigration lawyer:Im an Australian

This answer was rated:

Question for Italian/EU Immigration lawyer:

I'm an AustralXXXXX XXXXXving in the USA with my Italian wife of nearly 2 years - December 2011.

What is the time period whereby I obtain an Italian passport whilst both of us are living outside of the country?

or would we need to be inside of Italy?
I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I'd like to keep waiting.

Thank you. We will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.
Dear customer,

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

According to l. 91 1992 as amended by l. 94 2009, if you reside abroad you can acquire Italian citizenship after three years from the day of your marriage.

If you have any child (even adopted) you can acquire Italian citizenship after 1 year and a half.

You can file your application to the closest Italian embassy or Consulate in your State of residence.

You should fill in the form that I am going to link you below pay 14,62 euro of "marca da bollo" plus 200€ of taxes.

Your application must include the reasons for claiming the right to Italian citizenship accompanied by the following documentation, duly legalized and translated:

birth certificate containing all pertinent data or, in the case of the documented impossibility of producing that, an affidavit issued by the diplomatic-consular authorities of the country of origin stating all exact personal data (name, surname, date and place of birth), as well as those of the father and mother of the applicant;

criminal record (or certified lack thereof) from country of origin and eventual third countries of residence;

certificate of history of legal residence in Italy (with affixed tax stamp);

marriage certificate issued the Italian city where the related marriage act was registered (non-certified or copy of marriage certificate);

legal certificate of citizenship of Italian spouse (with affixed tax stamp);

certificate of criminal record (or lack thereof) in Italy (with affixed tax stamp);

certificate of charges pending in Italy (or certified lack thereof) issued by the State Prosecutor’s Office at the court authorised for the area of residence of the applicant (with affixed tax stamp);

authenticated copy of residence permit (with affixed tax stamp);

copy of passport (with attached official translation in Italian, where the document does not contain data, in addition to the original language, also in English or French), authenticated by the diplomatic-consular mission of the State that issued it;

certificate of family status (with affixed tax stamp).

I hope this helps. Please do not hesitate to accept my answer and rate it positively.

A bonus i very much appreciated.

I remain at your complete disposal should you need any further information.


T. De Pasquale
T.DePas, Attorney
Category: European Law
Satisfied Customers: 459
Experience: Solicitor - Ph.D. Doctor Europaeus in EU law
T.DePas and other European Law Specialists are ready to help you
Dear customer,

I hope you were happy with my reply. Please do not hesitate to accept it and rate it positively otherwise I won't get compensated for my work.

Of course, your follow-ups are more than welcome.



Related European Law Questions