How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Your Own Question
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: European Law
Satisfied Customers: 96
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your European Law Question Here...
INC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I were divorced in the Netherlands in 2007.

Customer Question

My husband and I were divorced in the Netherlands in 2007. We owned a house together and various other assets/debts. The court ordered him to hand over all documents pertaining to finances but he refused. After 3 years, the court stated that the case was being handed over to notaries to investigate, divide and settle the finances. I've now received a notice from my ex that he wants to sell the house and he needs my consent because I'm still listed as co-owner! He has run up debt against the house and once sold, there will be a 86K Euro's shortfall. He says I have to pay half of this. Two issues, why did the court and notaries not force that this gets settled? Since then, housing values have dropped since 2007 when this should have been closed. Can the court not do something to ensure I'm not liable because he did not comply? Secondly - I live in Canada, he still lives in the Netherlands. Will the morgage holder try and recoup the difference from him? Or will they go after us both? What if he takes off? Will/can they come after me in Canada for the full amount?


One more thing- what about repossession?  If we let the bank reposess, than what happens to the remaining shortfall?

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: European Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 3 years ago.
I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No one has responded yet, so don't close the question. I have made the deposit for some assistance and hope it will be responded to soon.


Thank you.

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. We will search for a legal professional for you.
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,

We are still working with our Legal professionals to find you the best possible match. I wanted to touch base to see if you still needed a professional’s assistance.

Please let me know if you would like to continue to wait or if you would like to cancel your question at this time. We sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the extended wait time.

Thank you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello. I don't understand why I've been asked 2x to close the question? A lawyer has not yet responded and I have paid for the service. If no lawyer is willing to respond, do you refund the payment? I really would like to have my question answered though.


Thank you.

Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. The moderators of this site just check in every once in a while to make sure you still need an answer and to let you know that you haven't been forgotten. We will continue to search for a professional to help you.

Thank you for your patience!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What should I do to get an expert to respond?

Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry that you have not yet received an answer. I have marked your question as high priority, which alerts Experts that you need an answer quickly.

Legal professionals each tend to have in depth expertise in only one or two areas of the law. So how quickly a question gets answered depends in part upon the nature and complexity of the question and the particular expertise and schedules of the experts on line. A professional could be online at anytime who will be able to answer you.

Thank you again for your patience.

Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry to say we have exhausted all our efforts at this time to find the right professional to assist you with your question.

While we were not able to assist you with this question, please keep in mind that JustAnswer has multiple categories, from Health, Pets, Computers, Taxes, Cars, Finance, to Home Improvement, and more, to assist you with any question you may need answered.

At this time, we can offer you two options. You can choose to either have us return your good faith deposit back to its original funding source OR you may keep your deposit in your JustAnswer account to use for a future question.

We hope you will consider us again in the future.

Thank you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Wendy. Could you please arrange to have the deposit returned for now? If I have another question, I will just pay it again then.


Thank you!

Related European Law Questions