European Law

Have European Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Germany court ordered child support

US Citizen had an out...

US Citizen had an out of wedlock child with a German Citizen. Paternity was established in the German court and the local German circuit court ordered the father to pay child support until the age of 18. The court ordered compensation agreement was signed by both parties, the father as well as the mother. Father has paid child support on time and in the full amount agreed upon for the past 18 years. Father has since also moved back to the US. Considering the signed compensation agreement that clearly stated payments are due until the child's 18th birthday am I assuming correctly that no obligation exists beyond the child's 18th birthday?

7/19/2013
TKenney, Ph.D. LawyerAvocat

TKenney, Ph.D. LawyerAvoc :

Hello, in German law there can be an obligation until the child is 21 if he /she lives with the family. And is in school.

TKenney, Ph.D. LawyerAvocat