European Law

Have European Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

European Law

I am married to a French citizen for 3 years; I am a U.S. citizen

with a valid carte de...
I am married to a French citizen for 3 years; I am a U.S. citizen with a valid carte de sejour. The marriage has irretrievably broken down and we wish to divorce. I have been in the States for the last 3 months to arrange to go back to America to resume my life. My husband has informed me that he has changed the locks on the matrimonial apartment and that he will prevent my access where all of my personal affairs and papers are. No papers have been filed and we previously discussed commencing the procedure after I had arranged to have my separate property and affairs shipped back the U.S. Can he do this?
5/1/2013
Fran-mod
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Yes, i can wait a little while. Please, this is now urgent as my husband has now confirmed that upon my return he will deny me access.
Wendy-Mod
Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.

Regards,
Wendy
José M.
José M., Attorney

Hi

He has no right to do so and it could be considered as constraints wich its a criminal action against you

You should denounce the facts in the closer police station and contact a local attorney in order to demand him and get the best divorce arregment for you

Go to the closer police station and denounce he is forbiding you to enter into your own home and even to get your propieties

Once you have done it get a local attorney to put the divorce demand in order to get also legal security

I will be here if needed

Thank you

José M.
José M., Attorney

Thank you for this. The only hang up is that we have lived as husband and wife in the apartment rent free, the apartment is owned by his parents. I have not paid rent, nor has he, but I invested 30000 Euros of my own money (U.S. inheritance) to upgrade and renovate the apartment and I entirely furnished it with my separate property which was shipped from U.S. What effect would this have on this situation?

Hi

It is just the same

For the law, the real thing is that it is your home, the place where do you live and he has no legal right to avoid you to enter

Only a judge could forbid you to enter and give him the posession of the propiety

As you had been living there its your home and nobody except a judge could deny you to enter

Denounce him in the closer police station
José M.
José M., Attorney
José M.
José M.
José M., Attorney