How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: European Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  UK based Immigration Solicitor
Type Your European Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have heard that it would be easier for me (U.K citizen)to

This answer was rated:

i have heard that it would be easier for me (U.K citizen)to bring my wife to Europe to live in any other EU country other than my own (shes american)...i have heard its alot easier less red tape etc...any truth..??
Hi, Thanks for your question. It would be a bit easier yes. In other EU countries you are regarded as a EEA member state national exercising their right to work in other EEA states. You wife would have to apply for a family permits, simply proving that she is your wife and then a residence card so that she can remain in the EEA member state. The only real eligibility criteria here is that she is married to you. IN the UK you are regarded for immigration law purposes as a UK citizen rather than an EEA member state national and are thus subject to the more restrictive settlement rules.If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept. Kind regards,Tom
Thomas and other European Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so in the U.K im not regarded as EEA state national...but other EU countries i am? that what makes it easier....why wouldnt the U.K view me as an EEA state national member...just out of curiosity.
Correct. It's because your right to be in the UK does not derive from EEA law, it derives from the fact that you are a UK citizen. As a UK citizen you have the right to be in the UK without restrictions. EEA member state nationals only have the right to be in the UK to exercise treaty rights (ie. work, study, or be self sufficient). If they do not exercise their treaty rights by one of the bracketed ways then there right to remain ceases. Tom
Thomas and other European Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related European Law Questions